4/25/2009

Brook Benton


Brook Benton - Where Do I Go From Here


Brook Benton - Today - Cotillion/UK Atlantic 2465 004 (1970)

Rainy Night In Georgia, My Way, Life Has it's Little Hang Ups, We're Gonna Make it, A Little Bit Of Soap, Where Do We Go From Here?, Desertion, I've Gotta Be Me

Produced by Arif Mardin

OK you think I've lost the plot, but the truth is I was always a Benton fan from the day I first heard his 1961, Bo Weevil song. His version of the Tony Joe White song Rainy Night In Georgia is the master cut of that song anyway - so there!

The nice touch in today's track is the inclusion of a vibraphone and oil drums and even a sax solo on the bridge (that sounds like King Curtis) - too much. When I played this on my radio show I had remixed it, but it sounds good now on it's own. So take a listen and let me know what you think.


Mickey Nold Remix 1999

(I added a cabassa, bongo's and a tambourine)

Brook Benton (September 19, 1931 - April 9, 1988) was an American singer and songwriter who was popular with rock and roll, rhythm and blues, and pop music audiences during the late 1950s and early 1960s, when he scored hits such as "It's Just A Matter Of Time" and "Endlessly", many of which he co-wrote.

He made a comeback in 1970 with the ballad "Rainy Night in Georgia." Benton scored over 50 Billboard chart hits as an artist, and also wrote hits for other performers. Brook died of complications from spinal meningitis in Queens, New York City, at the age of 56, on 9 April 1988.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.