11/23/2007

Thelma Jones





How Long

Thelma Jones - Same (CBS Records 35485) 1978.


I Second That Emotion; Lonely Enough To Cry Anything; Now That We Found Love; Angel Of The Morning; I Can Dream; How Long; Stay Awhile With Me; I'd Rather Leave While I'm In Love; Want What You Want; Salty Tears.

Produced by: Bert DeCoteaux.

Great little debut album with hit single Salty Tears, two fine extra ballads: I'd rather Leave, I Wan't What You Want, and the steppers I Can Dream and How Long by writers Grey & Hanks.

Thelma Jones was born 4th May 1942 Fayetteville, North Carolina, with a music background in gospel. She was introduced into the music business by her husband James Hazley, who owned a record company called Uptown in New York. Her first recording came in 1967 with the single Never Leave Me/Stronger on Barry Records/Sue UK. The single did quite well on the R&B charts, and Jones remained at the label until 1970.

During those three years Thelma cut several sides for the label including the original version of The House That Jack Built (UK Soul City label run from a record shop in London, owned by David Nathan), later recorded by Aretha Franklin. Whilst at Barry Records, Thelma began working clubs in New York, and at 20 years of age, she worked at the amateur talent show at the Apollo Theatre in Harlem as well as a showcase at Small's Paradise, also in Harlem.

The success of Never Leave Me led to her first major engagements at the Apollo, performing for one week and undertaking five or six shows per day. These shows led to regular appearances at the venue moving on to larger venues such as the Shea Stadium alongside Kim Weston, Johnny Nash and James Brown.

After leaving Barry Records in 1970 Jones moved to Tampa in Florida where she performed on the hotel circuit. Through a friend of hers, George Chavous (a promo man from CBS), Thelma moved to the label. She then set about constructing the 'Thelma Jones' album working alongside Brad Shapiro, the man behind many of Millie Jackson's, Wilson Pickett's and Joe Simon's major hits.

The first CBS single was Salty Tears, penned by Teddy Randazzo, from the album that was recorded at Media Sounds New York was finally released in 1978, other singles from this set were, I Can Dream written by Leon Ware, Lonely Enough To Try Anything, penned by Sam Dees and of course the popular 2step tune How Long, written by Len Ron Hanks and Zane Wallace Grey. Backing vocals by Gwen Guthrie, Ullanda McCullough and Brenda White.
Kent Records UK have just released (June 2007) a Barry/CBS anthology CD. Collectables; Oh Here Comes The Heartache/Gotta Find A Way Barry £75, House That Jack Built UK Soul City £30 and Never leave me/Stronger UK Sue £35.

She also has her own www.myspace.com/thelmajones page.

Thelma Jones Discography:

Never Leave Me/Stronger Barry 1010 / Sue WI 4047 ('66)
Oh Oh, Here Come The Heartbreak/Gotta Find A Way Barry 1014 ('67)
Souvenirs Of A Heartbreak/I Won't Give Up My Man Barry 1018 ('67
The House That Jack Built/Give It To Me Straight Barry 1023 ('68)
Mr. Fix It/Second Chance Barry 1024 ('68)
Salty Tears/You're The Song (That I Can't Stop Singing) CBS 10403 ('76)
I'd Rather Leave While I'm In Love/Love Look What You've Got Me Into CBS 10657 ('77)
I Want What You Want / I'm Lonely CBS 10728 ('78)
I Second That Emotion / I Can Dream CBS 10814 ('78)

Lp's
Thelma Jones - CBS 35485 ('78)
Barry/CBS recordings KENT ('07)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.