2/08/2008

Nancy Wilson



Nancy Wilson - Hurt So Bad - Capitol 1C 062-80 232 (1969)

Willie & Laura Mae Jones; Let's Make Th Most Out of A Beautiful Thing; You're All I Need To Get By; Can't Take My Eyes Of You; Hurt So Bad; Spinning Wheel; Do You Know Why; Come Back To Me; Ages Ago; One Soft Night

Produced by: David Cavanaugh



Hurt So Bad

I haven't Blogged for about 5 weeks due to a lack of responce and I did actually deleted my Black History pages after 5 years! still I did have some interest in in Nancy Wilson, so here is one more...

For this album Nancy got together with half-dozen very devoted, extremely talented gentlemem. Five of them serve as arrangers-conductors. Their already famous names are listed; Oliver Nelson, Phil Wright, Jimmy Jones, Billy May & Sid Feller. The sixth gifted collaborator is David Cavanaugh, the producer who gathered everyone together in one place at one time to make a dream-album come true.

This time the idea was to record a collection of some of the best songs ever written-not necessarily current Million-sellers or Number One Chart-Toppers, but songs that will always be valuable for their likeable lyrics and memorable mood/melodies. Most of all though, the songs have to be innate, individual good style, tell a story you'd be glad to hear again, or express a universal feeling better than any other song of the moment. The ten that passed all the tests, filled all the qualifications and best-pleased everyone all round are the ones that got the long, loving attention of Nany Wilson and her six very in-demand gentleman friends.

It was Phil Wright who arranged and conducted the very up-best, pulsing version of Hurt So Bad in such a way that Nancy wraps it around her little finger within the first four bars. Written by Teddy Randazzo-Hart-Wilding, William Hart being one of the Delfonics if my memory serves me well. My copy of the album is German and no date is on it but I should think it's from 1969, the sound quallity/fidelity is also stand-out on this pressing, Hurt So Bad wasn't released as a US single.

In case you are still scratching your heads the featured song was a hit for Little Anthony & The Imperials found on their Going Out Of My Head album in 1966, later for the Delfonics.

Here is a nice bonus clip of her in 1968. Always loved this song. Taken from my Dailymotion site - enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I freakin love this song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Hurt so bad". I like the part at 1.37 of the first song (that's called the bridge of a song?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes... the instrumental bit between 2 verse & last verse, can have a saxophone break, keyboards, strings, anything really. Like Rufus Thomas once said: "give me a good beging, middle & end and I do the rest" RIP. The 'bridge' is the good middle he refers too!
    James Brown often sings: "Take me to the bridge" in his Funk.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.